EduTech 2014 roundup

EduTech 2014 happened last week in Brisbane Australia and thanks to social media, I feel like I have a good sense of what happened. I had a pretty busy week but checked the Twitter stream each evening, followed the links that interested me and came up with the following take-aways thanks to the generous people who tweeted, retweeted and blogged to share their experiences.

The takeaways from my browsing are:

Sir Ken Robinson’s keynote

“Kids are born as learning organisms,” he says to a communal nod of approval from the audience.

“The real point of education is not to increase yield … the real purpose of education, our job is to help people grow from the inside out.”

Australian Teacher Magazine wrote this summary of his talk (includes three short video clips).

Sugata Mitra’s keynote

The twitter stream was abuzz with praise and the audience clearly inspired by Sugata MItra’s keynote. His original  talk in 2007 about kids teaching themselves via the Hole in the Wall project has been seen 1 million times. His 2010 TED talk about child-driven education  has been seen 1.9 million times and he won the 2013 TED prize enabling him to pursue his School in the Cloud research and associated SOLEs (Self-Organising Learning Environments), an early example of which is Room 13 at Greenfield Community College in the UK.

Apparently his EduTech presentation covered much of the same ground as the TED talks and it is interesting to read the reflections of Claire Amos (educator and blogger), Donelle Batty (Tasmanian educator and Hardie Fellow, who attended the Master Class) and Australian Teacher Magazine.

“Is knowing obsolete?”

This was a provocative question he posed and one taken up by Michael Coghlan in his conference reflection.

Jenny Lucca presentation

Digital Literacy: guiding students (and teachers) to develop their 21st Century skills

Jenny published her presentation slides  and for me it was like a summary of many of the references and themes I have been learning and researching about since beginning my graduate studies. It was apparent from the Twitter stream that her presentation was very well received, including remarks from some of the keynote speakers. She also posted her own conference reflections on her blog.

Ian Jukes’ closing comments

Ian Jukes is usually entertaining, provocative and extreme in his views. Apparently he spoke so fast, he was un-tweetable!

Claire Amos has a summary and reflection of Jukes’ presentation and this posting includes some of the charts used by Jukes to illustrate the changing nature of the workforce and the need for creativity.

Other conference reflections

The website will soon disappear to make way for next year’s event  so it is the artifacts created through social media that provide the ongoing record rather than formal conference proceedings.